Here are some frequently asked questions about school registration at the International Welcome Centre (IWC):

We are newcomers to the Greater Moncton Area. Where do I register my child?

Parents must register in person at the International Welcome Centre (IWC). You need to call or email the IWC to make an appointment to register your child for school if:

► Your child was born outside of Canada

► If the language your child speaks at home is not English

► the parent or legal guardian is neither Canadian nor a permanent resident

The International Welcome Center (IWC) is located at Queen Elizabeth School, 31 Lynch Street, Room 114, Moncton, New Brunswick, E1C 3L5

Who should register at the International Welcome Centre?

► Kindergarten to Grade 12 students born in Canada who do not speak English as their home language.

► Kindergarten to Grade 12 students born outside Canada, regardless of language spoken at home.

► the parent or legal guardian is neither Canadian nor a permanent resident

What can I expect to happen at my registration appointment?

► We will tell you about our schools and our programming

► We will help you fill out the school registration forms

► We will check your immigration documents to confirm that your child is eligible to study

► We will schedule intake assessments for English literacy and numeracy for your child

► We will make arrangements for student entry to their new school

Do I need to bring my child with me when I come to register for school?

No, you do not need to bring your child to the initial registration appointment. We encourage one or both parents to come for registration as the paperwork involved and information given may take up to 1 hour to complete. Your child will be scheduled for an intake assessment appointment once registration is complete.

How old does my child have to be in order to register for Kindergarten?

Children must be five years old before the end of December to be eligible to start school in September of that calendar year.

We will be arriving in Moncton after the school year has begun. How soon can I register my child for school? Is there a deadline for registration?

You can register your child for school as soon as you arrive in New Brunswick and have established a place of residence. We offer continuous enrollment and register new students year-round. Students who enroll after the beginning of the school year may need to be accommodated in a school that is not their catchment school if there are space limitations until the beginning of the next school year.

Why do I have to register my child at the International Welcome Centre?

For students born outside of Canada, we need to examine their immigration documents to make sure they are entitled to publicly funded education in New Brunswick. All students who register with the International Welcome Centre will also complete intake assessments to determine if language support is required.

Can parents/legal guardians register by telephone, fax, or e-mail?

The International Welcome Centre and schools do not accept registration applications by telephone, fax, or e-mail, as staff need to verify the authenticity of original documentation. Documents that are written in a foreign language need to be translated into English and notarized. Any missing documents may delay the processing time for your child’s file.

How do I begin the registration process?

Call or email the International Welcome Centre to schedule a registration appointment

Do I need to register my child for the move from elementary to middle school/high school?

There is no need for a new registration when moving to the next grade. It is done automatically by school administration.

If I register my child during July and August, will it take a long time?

Yes, it will. Summer is a busy time, as the International Welcome Centre has continuous intake for registration for school. It is critical you schedule an appointment with the International Welcome Centre to ensure someone is available to meet with you to complete your child’s registration. All required documents as listed on this website ( Checklist) will need to be submitted. Any missing documents will delay the registration process.

What documents are required to register my child for school?

The parent or legal guardian must be present to provide the following original documents:

1. Student’s original Birth Certificate (Shows parent names with certified English translation)

2. Proof of legal status in Canada (for both parents and child(ren)) (Please bring the original)

For new immigrant/worker/student/refugee/diplomat please bring:

► Permanent Residence Card/Confirmation of Permanent Residence document and passport or

► Work Permit and passport or

► Study Permit and passport – with parent(s)’ program admission letter or

► Refugee Claimant Paper or

► Diplomatic Card and passport

For Canadian(s), please bring

► Passport and Citizenship Card and Birth Certificate

► Proof of local address (purchase or rental agreement or recent utility, cable, or telephone bill)

► Local phone number

► Proof of Immunization (records since birth with certified English translation)

► Proof of Medicare (a receipt from Service New Brunswick that you have applied for Medicare also serves as proof) or medical insurance for the duration of studies

► Previous School Record (with certified English translation if needed)

► Other relevant documentation involving guardianship or custody (Custodianship declaration form can be found at: Minor children – Study in Canada​, a sample consent letter for children travelling abroad can be found at: Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad), etc.

Please bring these documents with you to your registration appointment and we will make copies for the student file(s). Any missing documents may delay the registration process. It is not necessary to bring your child for the initial registration appointment. Intake assessments for your child will be scheduled for a later date.

My child is already attending a school in the Anglophone East School District, but we are moving to another area within the school district. What do I need to do?

Changing address during the school year

► Refer to School Eligibility​ to determine if your child’s school will change based on the new address and which school they will now attend. If the school does not change simply advise the current school of the new address.

► If the new address does require a change in school, visit the new school with proof of the new address to fill out the necessary documents. They will confirm if space is available at their new school and provide a date to begin classes there.

► Your new school will notify your old school and arrange to transfer the student records.

Changing address during the summer:

► If the new address is outside the current school’s catchment area, families need to wait for the new catchment school to reopen at the end of August to update their address and complete the necessary documentation as indicated above

► If the new address is in the same school’s catchment area, families can update their address with the school when they reopen at the end of August.​​​​

​Here are some frequently asked questions about the documentation required and eligibility for a publicly funded education:

Why do students have to provide school report cards or transcripts?

School report cards or transcripts are very important documents used by school administrators to better understand the student’s educational background and to help them make appropriate decisions regarding programs and courses.

Can I register my child if I don’t have all the documents?

The registration cannot be completed and your child will not be able to attend school until all relevant documents have been submitted.

Do I need to translate all the documents into English?

All documents must be translated into English before registering. Translations must be certified by a professional translator.

What does “proof of address” mean?

If you are renting an apartment or house, you can bring your lease agreement. If you own your home, you can bring your New Brunswick Property Tax Assessment or a copy of your Purchase and Sale Agreement. In either case you can provide a recent utility bill with your name and address on it. We will also accept a recent bank statement with your name and address on it.

I don’t have a permanent address yet. Can my child go to school?

You can register for school as soon as you have confirmed a permanent residence. For example, if you have purchased a home or signed a rental agreement for a future date, you can register for school even before you have officially moved in. You would be registered in the school located in the catchment area of your new home. Transportation would be the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian until you have moved into the new home.

If I work in Moncton but live outside the city, can my child go to school in Moncton?

If your residence is within the Anglophone East School District, you can complete an Out of Geographic Boundary Form​ to apply for your child to be registered in a school outside your residential catchment area. Individual schools will determine if there is space to accommodate your child at that school. Acceptance in an out of boundary school is not guaranteed and students can be asked to return to their catchment school at any point during the school year should capacity issues arise. Transportation would be the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian.

Does my child have to pay tuition to attend school?

The Anglophone East School District wishes to do everything it can to allow all students to receive a publicly funded education while recognizing constraints established within the Department of Education funding policies. Refer to the questions below for some more detailed information about the eligibility of a publicly funded education.

My parents do not live in New Brunswick. Do I have to pay tuition fees if I want to attend school in the Anglophone East School District?

According to the Education Act, only children living with a parent/legal guardian in N.B. can attend school without paying fees. If you do not have one parent living with you full-time, even if you are a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant, please register at the International Welcome Centre. You will be required to pay tuition fees.

My parents will not be accompanying me to New Brunswick while I am studying. Is there any additional documentation that will be required?

If you are in New Brunswick to study without your parents you are required to have a custodian appointed who is responsible for your care while you are here, even if you are a Canadian citizen. The custodian is a responsible adult (Canadian citizen or a permanent resident) who will ensure that all care, accommodations and living expenses such as food, clothing and transportation are provided.

In the Anglophone East School District the custodian must be:

► over 21 years of age, AND

► a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, AND

► a resident of the province of New Brunswick

All international students are required to submit the following two notarized documents to appoint a custodian. Only the Immigration Refugee Citizenship Canada Custodianship Declaration form is acceptable and is available here​.

Page 1: To be completed by the custodian in New Brunswick, stating that arrangements have been made for the custodian to act in place of a parent in times of emergency, such as when immediate medical or other intervention is required.

​Page 2: To be completed by the parent in the country of origin, stating that arrangements have been made for a custodian to act in the place of the parent. This document must be notarized in the country of origin.

These documents must include the address for the family the student will be living with and this must be within ASD-E.

► For students in grades 5 and under, the student must be living with their parent/legal guardian.

► For students in grades 6 to 8 the student must be living with their parent/legal guardian or their custodian.

► All students in grades 9 to 12 must live with their parent/legal guardian, custodian or homestay that is approved by the custodian and the parents. Families seeking homestay accommodations may be referred to Atlantic Education International (AEI), as appropriate.

Please note: If the custodian does not meet his/her obligations, the Anglophone East School District (ASD-E) has the right to demit the student.

I don’t have a place to stay while I am studying in Canada. Does your school district help make homestay arrangements?

No, the Anglophone East School District does not arrange homestays. Atlantic Education International (AEI) is the only agent authorized by the New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood to provide this service. For more information visit Atlantic Education International (AEI)​. The New Brunswick International Student Program (NBISP) welcomes students between the ages of 11 and 18 from all points of the globe. The NBISP is managed through AEI. Visiting students live with a host family, attend classes with New Brunswick students and participate in extra-curricular and community activities. Fully immersed in the English language, international students develop their language skills and create new and lasting friendships

I am applying for a Study Permit for my child and I need a Letter of Acceptance. What do I need to do in order to receive a Letter of Acceptance?

We can provide a Tentative Letter of Acceptance into the Anglophone East School District. In order to produce this letter we would need:

► The student’s name (as written in their passport)

► The student’s date of birth

► The student’s parent’s full names (as written in their passports)

► The student’s parent’s home address

► The student’s passport number

► The student’s gender: male or female

► The date of arrival and intended academic year of study

► Confirmation of payment for the Tentative Letter of Acceptance

This letter is sent to the student’s home address directly from the school district superintendent’s office. There is a fee of $250CDN for this letter. Direct payment is completed at Schoolcash Online. Student Application Fee – International Student Fee-Paying ** The application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE**

How do I pay for my Tentative Letter of Acceptance?

An application fee of $250CDN must be paid prior to the issuance of a Tentative Letter of Acceptance. This fee is made payable to the Minister of Finance in Canadian currency online by credit card using school cash online at the following link: School Cash Online – Student Application Fee. Alternatively, the application fee of $250CDN can be sent by certified cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance to the following address:

International Welcome Centre (IWC)
Queen Elizabeth School, Room 114
31 Lynch Street, Moncton, NB E1C 3L5

The student will then apply for a study permit.

What if I am unsuccessful in getting a Study Permit and I have prepaid tuition, can this be refunded?

Tuition is refunded by the same method of payment and to the same person who originally paid. Please note the application fee of $250CDN is non-refundable.

I have a Study Permit to study in Canada. Can my child study in New Brunswick without paying tuition fees?

For your child to attend school without paying tuition:

► The child’s parent/guardian’s study permit must be for the duration of their official course of studies, AND

► The child’s parent/guardian must be enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a publicly funded institution or in a degree program at a private post-secondary institution in N.B. Here is a list of institutions that would fall under Section 12 of the Regulation. This was developed with assistance and clarification from PETL:

○ an educational institution designated under the Degree Granting Act (Yorkville University and the University of Fredericton),

○ an educational institution, as defined in the Degree Granting Act, that is established under an Act of the Legislature (University of New Brunswick, Mount Allison University, St. Thomas University, Université de Moncton, Crandall University, Kingswood University and St. Stephen’s University and The New Brunswick Bible Institute).

○ an institution established or operated under the Adult Education and Training Act (i.e. New Brunswick College of Craft and Design),○ 

○ Maritime College of Forest Technology,

○ the Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick (CCNB),

○ the New Brunswick Community College (NBCC),

It should be noted that there are other educational institutions in the province, which are under the Private Occupational Training Act (POTA). As these institutions are under POTA, and POTA is not one of the acts mentioned under Section 12 of the Regulation, dependent children of parents attending those institutions would not be eligible for free school privileges.

The Private Occupational Training Act (Act) governs private college institutions. The Act excludes the registration of language schools and religious schools.

Click here for the current list of POTA institutions.

If I have a Work Permit to work in Canada, can my child go to school without paying tuition fees? Do I need a Study Permit for my child?

For a child to go to school without paying tuition:

► the child’s parent/legal guardian(s) must have a valid work permit issued by IRCC that is valid for a term of one year or more, AND

► the child’s parent/legal guardian(s) must be a resident of New Brunswick

To see if your child requires a study permit click here.

What if a student is already enrolled in a school and his or her parent/legal guardian’s immigration status changes? Does the student have to leave school?

Children who are already enrolled in schools will not be withdrawn from school while their parent/legal guardian is dealing with immigration matters, provided they submit supporting documentation that they are in a transitional period (e.g. changing status from Temporary Foreign Worker to Permanent Residence or Study permit, etc.) Other cases will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

I have adopted a child, I have no birth certificate, and the adoption papers I have contain sensitive information. What document(s) can I provide?

We can copy only the portion of the adoption paper identifying the child’s name and the legal guardian’s name.

Here are some frequently asked questions about school/grade placement

Which school is best for my child?

Each school has its own unique culture, however all schools deliver curriculum required by the New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

How do you determine what grade my child will go into?

Students will normally be placed in their age appropriate grade level.​​​​​ ​ ​ ​ ​​ ​ ​ ​

​International students will be placed in a regular academic program and may receive English as an Additional Language (EAL) support based on assessment results and available programs.

What school would my child attend?

Your child will attend their catchment school if you live within that school’s boundary and there is space available. Click here​ to find your catchment school.

What happens after I register my child at the International Welcome Centre?

After you have registered your child at the International Welcome Centre, and all documents are submitted, we will schedule your child for intake assessments. Once the intake assessments are complete we will forward your child’s file to your neighborhood school. You can expect your child to be in classes at their new school in a timely manner following registration and assessments.

How long does my child have to wait after registering before he or she can go to school?

Students will usually be able to join classes at their new school within 1 to 2 weeks of their initial registration appointment. Each transition to school is unique to ensure for a successful school entry. It is important to remember that the registration is not complete until all required documents have been submitted.

What happens if my child’s school has reached grade level capacity?

If a grade level or school is at capacity level, he or she will be placed in another school per district approval. A student can transfer to their catchment school when a space becomes available, or they may choose to wait until the beginning of the following academic year. Transportation will be arranged for the student by the district if your child is placed in another district school temporarily that is more than 2.4 km from your residence.

If my child has a special learning need, what do I need to do?

If your child has special learning needs, bring all available medical records, psycho-educational assessments, Personalized Learning Plans (PLPs) and Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) to the International Welcome Centre when you register your child. If you do not have these records, we will ask you to sign a form giving us permission to request them. We will send these records to your child’s school principal who will work with you to identify required support systems to support your child.

What happens if my child has little or no English?

Your child’s English language skills will be assessed at the International Welcome Centre through our intake assessments. Extra language support will be provided, if required, by teaching staff at your child’s school.

Do all elementary schools have an ELL program?

All elementary schools have EAL tutor support services. Exactly how that will look varies based on the child’s individual needs.

Do all high schools have an ELL program?

Bernice MacNaughton High School, Harrison Trimble High School, Moncton High School and Riverview High School have EAL classes. Our other 4 high schools have EAL tutor support as required.

​Here are some other/miscellaneous frequently asked questions about school registration

What fees are charged by the school?

Please refer to your child’s school website for information on school fees. 

Is transportation available for my child?

As per New Brunswick Education Act – Regulation 2001-51, the following students are eligible for school bus transportation:

► for those public school students who live farther than 2.4 km from their zone school; and

► for those public school students who live 1.5 km down a side road from the closest bus stop location.

Parents are responsible for the safety of their children to and from the school bus stop. Parents of children in K to grade 2 are required to escort their children to/from the bus stop morning and afternoon or to/from their home as walking students morning and afternoon. School bus routes and stops are subject to change according to the needs of operational requirements. Click here to check to see if your child is eligible for bussing.

What qualifications does my child need in order to graduate from High School in New Brunswick?

Students are required to fulfill the requirements set by the Department of Education for graduation. The High School Course Selection Guide has information on the High School Graduation requirements.

How can I be involved in my child’s education?

Parents and local community members dedicate time, energy, and enthusiasm to school projects and they are the backbone of many special programs and initiatives. If you have even just a little bit of free time, why not become a school volunteer? There are many ways you can get involved. You can volunteer to work directly with students, or behind the scenes as a committee member or staff support. Here are just a few ideas of how you could get involved and support education in your community:

► Coach sports

► Support the breakfast program

► Be a reading buddy

► Become a mentor

► Join the Home & School Association or Parent School Support Committee (PSSC)

► Help at special events

► Lead an after-school club

How do I start volunteering?

The safety of students is our number one priority. All adults including volunteers who work in our schools must have training in a provincial policy regarding the safety of children (Policy 701) and a police background check. To start volunteering, complete the following:

► Read/Review Policy 701

► Complete the Policy 701 Validation Questionnaire

► Fill out and print the Volunteer Application Form and fax, mail or deliver it to the school of your choice. Alternatively you can complete this form online here

► Have a criminal records check completed with the vulnerable sector verification at your local RCMP station. There is a fee associated with this unless you have a letter from the school that you will be volunteering at.