The spirit of volunteerism can be seen in every school in Anglophone East School District. Parents and local community members dedicate time, energy, and enthusiasm to school projects and they are the backbone of many special programs and initiatives.
If you have even just a little bit of free time, why not become a school volunteer? There are many ways you can get involved, and schools need your help! You can volunteer to work directly with students, or behind the scenes as a committee member or staff support. Many businesses now have programs in place to support volunteers who dedicate up to one hour during their work week – check with your manager or human resources department to find out if your employer has a volunteer program.
Here are just a few ideas of how you could get involved and support education in your community:
- Coach sports
- Become a mentor
- Help at special events
- Support the Breakfast Program
- Join the Home & School Association
- Lead an after-school club
- Be a Reading Buddy
- Share a special talent
- and much, much more!
How to Start Volunteering
The safety of students is our number one priority. All adults including volunteers who work in our schools must have training in a provincial policy regarding the safety of children (Policy 701) and a police background check. To start volunteering, complete the following:
- Read/Review Policy 701
- Complete the Policy 701 Validation Questionnaire
- Fill out the online registration form below, or print the Volunteer Application Form and fax, mail or deliver it to the school of your choice.
- Have a criminal records check completed with the vulnerable sector verification at your local RCMP station. There is a fee associated with this unless you have a letter from the school that you will be volunteering at.